[OpenWrt-Devel] Is Linksys/Belkin lying (again) about being open source (WRT1200AC router) ?

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:18:41 EST 2015

Hi,

Great email Valent, and I fully agree with your comments.
We have had this discussion here in the past and nothing much changed
from Belkin side (actually it got worse as they disappeared apparently)
showing a total failure on product release.

I'm not entirely sure of the status of WRT1200AC, but if there is
nothing here in OpenWRT and nothing else much can be found on the web
they are once again lying. They are publishing intentions as if it was
something that was already done and consolidated, ready for any buyer to
enjoy. If there is something going on between them and OpenWRT we are
not aware, at least not via this list.

I personally consider a big slap in the face of consumers Marketing
doing what they do in Belkin, like if they didn't care at all. This is
not simply 'a mistake' or 'a misunderstanding' , it's complete
dishonesty and they are probably fully aware of this but simply don't
care at all cause they just want to reach their marketing target.
Probably people there might not even have a basic idea about what is
open-source.

As mentioned Marvel is doing some progress with the Wifi driver, which
is great for WRT1900AC owners, but that's Marvel only. What has Belkin
done about their share of the work BEFORE they release this new product
? I not sure if much or any.
I hope they are able to show me I am wrong on my comments.

Regards,
Fernando