[OpenWrt-Devel] A note on selects vs. DEPENDS

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Tue Dec 22 20:05:48 EST 2015

I've run into a situation where that solution does not work.

Specifically:

   DEPENDS:=+PACKAGE_TAR_POSIX_ACL:libacl +PACKAGE_TAR_XATTR:libxattr
+PACKAGE_TAR_BZIP2:bzip2 +PACKAGE_TAR_XZ:xz
endef

define Package/tar/config
         config PACKAGE_TAR_POSIX_ACL
         bool "tar: Enable POSIX ACL support" if PACKAGE_tar
         default y if USE_FS_ACL_ATTR
         default n

         config PACKAGE_TAR_XATTR
         bool "tar: Enable extended attribute (xattr) support" if
PACKAGE_tar
         default y if USE_FS_ACL_ATTR
         default n

         config PACKAGE_TAR_GZIP
         bool "tar: Enable seamless gzip support" if PACKAGE_tar
         default y

         config PACKAGE_TAR_BZIP2
         bool "tar: Enable seamless bzip2 support" if PACKAGE_tar
         default y

         config PACKAGE_TAR_XZ
         bool "tar: Enable seamless xz support" if PACKAGE_tar
         select PACKAGE_xz
         default y
endef

That results in a circular dependency.

Using EXTRA_DEPENDS and select in config section is necessary because of
the way package dependency parsing mangles the dependencies when using
+PACKAGE_TAR_XZ:xz.  Specifically xz 'depends on' xz-utils in the xz
package definition. When taken in combination with +PACKAGE_TAR_XZ:xz
the parsing/mangling results in a recursive dependency where tar depends
on PACKAGE_TAR_XZ and vice versa, because the recursive dependency
checker does not distinguish between

depends on SYMBOL
vs.
depends on !SYMBOL

and the xz-utils depends results in

PACKAGE_tar depends on !(PACKAGE_TAR_XZ) || PACKAGE_xz-utils

and PACKAGE_TAR_XZ depends on PACKAGE_tar because it makes no sense
without tar (and submenu doesn't work without the if PACKAGE_tar or a
depends on PACKAGE_tar).