[OpenWrt-Devel] default console patch / avoiding differential busybox builds

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Tue Dec 22 06:11:01 EST 2015

Hi all,

I just thought I'd let you know I got thinking about the patch making
the config option to make console login the default on certain platform
and the undesirable fact that it alters the busybox config, and have
plans for a solution.

I also intend to use this same concept for two other scenarios:

1) Supporting old-style net-tools (ifconfig/route/netstat) without
requiring it them to be part of the default openwrt build (once I submit
my patch for udhcpc netifd script that uses route and ifconfig to use ip
command instead).

2) Support a version busybox to provide programs not provided elsewhere
when using full versions of commands normally in busybox, without
requiring custom compiled version of openwrt/sdk.

My plan is to add (in packages feed, not base), builds of busybox that
include only appropriate subset of commands, call busybox e.g.
net-tools, and creates (i.e. package creates rather than relying on
busybox's install logic) the symlinks the the alternately named busybox.

2) is mostly an exercise to prepare for the real goal which is
supporting toybox instead of busybox once toybox has completed
sufficient set of tasks in it's 1.0 roadmap to be useful for OpenWrt,
and then it's not about 2) itself but the metapackage I am creating that
make for a drop-in replacement of busybox (in terms of allowing
busybox-compat-full to take the place of busybox via use of PROVIDES to
avoid real busybox being installed when busybox-compat-full is specified).

Regards,

Daniel