[OpenWrt-Devel] Ath10k mesh with OpenWRT question

Sven Eckelmann sven at open-mesh.com
Sat Dec 19 04:26:23 EST 2015

On Friday 18 December 2015 14:14:38 Zach Sherin wrote:
> I'm trying to use bmx6 to mesh together some routers but keep coming up
> against roadblocks trying to get the wireless chipsets into IBSS mode. Do
> you have any suggestions or places to start? If not, no worries. Thank you
> very much for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon.

My suggestion is to use 802.11s (load ath10k_core with rawmode=1 - for example
add it as parameter for ath10k_core to in the *ath10k file in /etc/modules.d/)
instead of adhoc/ibss when using a recent QCA988* firmware. You have to set
the mesh_ttl=1 and mesh_fwding=0 when you want to use bmx instead of the
802.11s mesh protocol(s). The wireless configuration could for example look
like this:

    config wifi-iface 'wmesh0'
            option device 'radio0'
            option ifname 'mesh0'
            option network 'mesh'
            option mode 'mesh'
            option mesh_id 'myownmesh' # change this
            option disabled '0'
            option mcast_rate '18000'
            option macaddr '02:11:22:33:44:55' # change this
            option mesh_ttl 1
            option mesh_fwding 0
            option encryption 'none'

But don't expect encryption to work with authsae/wpa_supplicant. I also heard
that IBSS should work with the qca6174 (TLV) firmware but I never tested it
and therefore cannot confirm it.

If you really want IBSS with QCA988x then you have to try the firmware fork of
Ben Greear [1]. But it was never really working for me and also still had bugs
in AP mode which were only fixed in the official firmware from QCA. Don't
forget that you still need the driver patches from Ben Greear.

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] http://www.candelatech.com/ath10k.php