[OpenWrt-Devel] WiFi on RT5350 not performing well

Luis Soltero lsoltero at globalmarinenet.com
Tue Dec 8 20:29:43 EST 2015

Hello All,

Working on an RT5350 based system with a generic version of CC 15.05 and the also the latest trunk head I noticed that
the WiFi performance was very poor.  ssh was very sluggish and file transfers would hang after about 150Kbytes of data
were transferred.

After some investigation I discovered that be deleting this patch
target/linux/ramips/patches-3.18/0011-MIPS-ralink-add-rt2880-wmac-clock.patch

Full WiFi performance and functionality was restored.  The question is why. The patch adds the following

ralink_clk_add("480000.wmac", wmac_rate);

to ralink_clk_init()

This looks important.  I am not understanding why RT5350 would balk at this when other similar processors don't.  The
WiFi for the MT7620 works fine with this patch.

So... is this a bug? is there something I am not understanding here? Is possibly some other code that is missing for the
initialization of the RT5350 that is present in other SoCs?  For now I have modified the patch as follows

      ralink_clk_add("400000.ethernet", cpu_rate / 2);
+#if !defined(CONFIG_RALINK_RT5350)
+    ralink_clk_add("480000.wmac", wmac_rate);
+#endif
  }

A longer description of symptoms can be found here

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=61395

Please comment.

Thanks,

--luis