[OpenWrt-Devel] Fast build testing [Was: Git mirror with branches, tags and full history]

Bastian Bittorf bittorf at bluebottle.com
Tue Dec 8 01:47:56 EST 2015

* John Szakmeister <john at szakmeister.net> [02.12.2015 16:04]:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Bastian Bittorf <bittorf at bluebottle.com> wrote:
> > * Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> [30.11.2015 13:47]:
> >> That sounds really great, can you please share more details? It's just your
> >> guess or you've achieved such build times already?
> >
> > today tested PowerPC/mpc85xx and this needs 160 seconds:
> > make clean; make -j25
>
> Do these numbers include building the toolchain?  And I assume it does
> not include downloading all the sources, correct?

downloading is not included.
we use a "always up-to-date" tarball which is downloaded
downloaded and unpacked in only some seconds.

here are some more values:
real   1.34 secs make -j25 defconfig
real 330.28 secs make -j25 tools/install
real 520.04 secs make -j25 toolchain/install
real  30.48 secs make -j25 target/compile
real 101.95 secs make -j25 package/compile
real   4.41 secs make -j25 package/install
real   1.69 secs make -j25 package/preconfig
real  39.78 secs make -j25 target/install
real   2.94 secs make -j25 package/index
#
real   1.91 secs make -j25 clean
real 147.28 secs make -j25

the last 2 steps are interesting, because this is the
most used action. (tools/install and toolchain/install is seldom needed)

these numbers are for Intel Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz / 24threads
they are about 700-800 Euro:
http://www.leader112.com/c1-178/proliant-dl380-g7

i'am still unsure how to automatically test a build with
'all packages'. there is a 'menuconfig' entry ("build all packages",
"build all kmodules") but it does not seems to work.

also i need help / ideas for using an IBM Power8 on the GCC Compile
Farm, which is somehow unused 8-) and has 152 Threads. There is zlib-dev
missing and I dont get it working with a local compile/install. I
can provide SSH-access, just PM me.

I'am also interested in the Board-CI stuff. We already have a lot
of real boards (with different arch's) running for that...

bye, bastian