[OpenWrt-Devel] b53: BCM5325 VLAN VID > 15 possible?

Ilya Lipnitskiy ilya.lipnitskiy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 04:43:39 EDT 2014

Greetings!

I have been trying to configure a NETGEAR WNDR3400 device to use VLAN ID 201 on its WAN port to be able to talk to a Calix FTTH ONT. Studying the problem, I have found that the device contains a BCM5325 switch, which only supports up to 16 VLAN entries. However, each entry may have a VID that is 12 bits long, ie 0-4095.

It does not seem that the current b53 driver supports this:

From b53_common.c:
static int b53_port_set_pvid(struct switch_dev *dev, int port, int val)
{
        if (val > 15 && is5325(priv))
                return -EINVAL;

I don't think this is hardware limitation, as people seem to have gotten it to work in DD-WRT, see http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86919.

I am wondering if any of this work has been investigated for b53? I plan to spend a bit more time with this issue and try to patch the driver to provide a solution. However, being a newbie to the OpenWRT architecture, I may need advice regarding enforcement of 16 max VLANs while allowing VIDs from 0-4095. I think that if feasible, it would be a very useful change.

Thanks,
Ilya