[OpenWrt-Devel] Regarding bridge multicast-to-unicast patch

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Wed Sep 10 11:02:04 EDT 2014

On 2014-09-10 16:41, Linus Lüssing wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 04:31:37PM +0200, Linus Lüssing wrote:
>> One more thing/optimization I was thinking of is, instead
>> of modifying the destination address of the frame whether the
>> 802.11 receiver address could be modified. For instance by letting
>> the bridge forward the destinations to mac80211 as a list in the skb.
>>
>> Would seem a little cleaner to me and I think then this feature
>> could even be enabled by default in upstream kernels for any mac80211
>> based wifi interface. What do you think?
>
> Also, another advantage of having the destinations on the mac80211 side
> would be that it'd make further optimizations relatively easy. People
> interested in that could make use of such a list together with the
> information of the rate selection algorithm.
I intentionally wanted to keep the implementation outside of mac80211,
because there are other scenarios where this could be useful.
I might have a dumb AP with no IGMP snooping capabilities connected to
an Ethernet interface, and with this implementation I can simply enable
multicast->unicast translation on the Ethernet device.

- Felix