[OpenWrt-Devel] Increase default squashfs blocksize for devices with small flash?

Mathias Adam m.adam--openwrt at adamis.de
Tue Sep 9 15:21:56 EDT 2014

Hi,

just noticed that the pre-built image for Huawei E970 (brcm47xx-legacy,
openwrt-e970-squashfs-gz.bin) is too large for its 4MiB flash.
This is true for both BB-rc3 and trunk snapshots.

Apparently Imagebuilder creates squashfs with 64kiB blocksize. However I
usually used 256kiB or even 1MiB on this device, which in my experience
saves some 100kiB.

Up to now I mostly used trunk builds; now I was able to create working
images with ImageBuilder as well after manually changing .config.

What is the recommended way to deal with this?
E.g. is it possible to set squashfs blocksize in a profile?

Thanks,
Mathias