[OpenWrt-Devel] Request for any netifd wireless documentation

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 06:19:14 EST 2014

Could someone explain netifd and wireless management a bit, please? I
tried to read some code, but so far it looks messy to me.
Maybe if we had some short description of netifd wireless layout on
wiki, it would be more developer friendly.

I can see multiple files:
/sbin/wifi
/lib/wifi/mac80211.sh
/lib/netifd/wireless/mac80211.sh
/lib/netifd/hostapd.sh
but they mostly don't contain any comments.

I'm not sure how much it's worth to list unclear parts of that.

It's confusing to have /lib/netifd/ and /lib/wifi/. It's confusing to
have two APIs (inconsistent callbacks). I can't understand why even
for mac80211.sh we keep detecting code in /lib/wifi/. There isn't
anything documented in the /lib/netifd/netifd-wireless.sh. I have no
idea how netifd <-> scripts communication works. What is handled in
scripts and what in netifd?

Could someone try to describe this a bit? Preferably on wiki page, so
it can be easily found and extended by others?

--
Rafał