[OpenWrt-Devel] how can i *deselect* building rrdtool?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Nov 18 02:32:09 EST 2014

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Ted Hess wrote:

> Some observations on things that build when you think they
> shouldn’t... This is something I noticed a while ago and can
> construct an example, but have been unable to understand why things
> work this way – bug or feature?
>
> Let's say you have a package - call it utility xyzzy. In the
> Makefile, you declare 2 additional packages: lib-x and lib-y along
> with the xyzzy utility. lib-x is dependent on libfoo and libbar.
> lib-y is only dependent on libfoo only. The xyzzy utility is
> dependent on lib-y and NOT lib-x. However, if I select xyzzy and
> hence lib-y is selected by default, when you build, libbar will be
> built (but not installed) even though it not selected in the build
> config as you have observed.

  i'm sure my followup to this is much simpler, but it's sometimes a
bit of an ordeal to deselect a single package given the number of
"Select"s throughout the build structure. in my case, i wanted to
simply deselect "rrdtool", and ended up having to deselect every
rrd-related package i could find, having to backtrace through the
recipes to see what selected what.

  i suspect it will get easier as i get more used to the layout of the
build structure.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca