[OpenWrt-Devel] Frequent adsl disconnections with BTHOMEHUBV2B (lantiq xway danube)

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Nov 17 19:48:12 EST 2014

Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
    >> Sounds like the something a proper BQL limit on the etherne/ATM part
    >> of the PPPoE coud fix.  For PPPoE, traffic shapping should occur on
    >> the PPP interface

    > 	Note SQM does not care too much where you put the shaper,but if you
    > shape one the pppoe device the pop maintenance packets are never seen
    > by SQM so they will not be dropped. Shaping on the raw ATM device (in
    > your case) should also work (never tested this myself as I have no open
    > dsl-router), but almost all packets will end up in the default queue (I
    > think) as the packet classification can not see through the pop

My point was that BQL running on the raw interface would see the LCP packets,
and therefore would take them into account.  I would except to do the various
SQM on the ppp interface, with the BQL on the underlying interface (for the
PPPoE case) providing the push back so that queing works.

    >> DSL with the modem built-in ought to auto-adjust the bandwdth viaBQL
    >> perfectly…

    > 	For egress/upstream (I really hope we will get something like that in
    > the future); bit for ingress/downlink you still need a properly
    > configured shaper until the DSLAMs/MSANs/BRASs learn BQL fq_codel
    > (which might take a while)

Yes, I was ignoring that part.