[OpenWrt-Devel] No users added while installing packages

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Sat Nov 1 13:45:24 EDT 2014

I use the OpenWrt code available at
git://git.openwrt.org/14.07/openwrt.git to build images for Mikrotik
routers. While building a new image, I found that none of my packages
were creating users.

Here are some examples:

1. lighttpd, which makes use of user_add in /etc/init.d/lighttpd,
created an http user, but it was not assigned a UID.

2. dmapd, which makes use of USERID:=dmapd=56:dmapd=56 in its Makefile,
did not create a user.

3. postfix, which provides a create_users shell function in
/etc/init.d/postfix, did not create a user. Not that /etc/init.d/postfix
does not explicitly call the create_users function.

4. ntpd, which makes use of USERID:=ntp=123:ntp=123 in its Makefile, did
not create a user.

5. etc.

What has changed that these packages no longer create the proper users?
I recall some earlier discussion about creating users, but it did not
seem that they came to a definite conclusion. I am also curious to know
how packages should reserve a UID; for example, postfix seems to assume
that no other package will claim 87 and 88.

I am the maintainer for some of the packages referenced above.

--
Mike

:wq