[OpenWrt-Devel] Future of package maintenance and new scope of this mailing list

Steven Barth cyrus at openwrt.org
Tue Jun 3 13:25:28 CEST 2014

Hello Developers,

it has been some time since our latest stable release, so we are
currently busy preparing the first RC for Barrier Breaker. But before we
want to do the actual builds we need to take care of the packages feed
which has been neglected for a quite a while. A lot of packages are
abandoned, some are broken, unusable or worse so we think its time for a
fresh start. We know and acknowledge there are patches for some of them
but we don't have the manpower to review all the patches to a reasonable
extent and offer support for all of them.

In a recent meeting we therefore decided to abandon the current packages
feed as is and start off with a new github repository for the overall
package feeds. We will grant everyone who is currently maintaining
packages push rights there and will gladly invite other reliable
contributors. So if you want to collaborate, please open tickets for
bugs and send pull requests to this new github repository
and get in touch with us for getting write-access to the feed.

The new repository is located here: https://github.com/openwrt/packages

Please read and follow the guidelines in the README. You may of course
use packages from the current packages-feed and copy them as long as
they are compliant, i.e. please don't copy outdated, unsupported or
unmaintained packages without updating them.

After some time we will adjust the feeds.conf to this new feed.

Please note that there are also other "themed" packages feeds like
routing and telephony that can be used when you want to move or add

Please refrain from sending packages-related patches to this list. In
the future this mailing list should only be used for platform and
packages in the core repository.

OpenWrt release management team