[OpenWrt-Devel] Duplicate netifd protocol for l2tp

Baptiste Jonglez bjonglez at illyse.org
Mon Jul 21 03:13:09 EDT 2014

Steven Barth wrote:
> I renamed the xl2tpd netifd protocol to "l2tpv2" and kept the l2tpv3 as
> "l2tp" as documented in the wiki.

Thanks :)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 08:47:58AM +0200, Dirk Neukirchen wrote:
> > The config are totally different, the problem is really a name clash.
>
> It seems they are doing things differently
> xl2tpd is RFC2661 (https://github.com/xelerance/xl2tpd/blob/master/README.xl2tpd)
> l2tpv3 is RFC5641 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5641)
> changes are in: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3931#section-1.1

Yes, L2TPv2 and L2TPv3 are quite different.  L2TPv2 is tightly coupled
with PPP, while L2TPv3 allows static tunnels.

> I wrote something about l2tpv3tun earlier,see : http://patchwork.openwrt.org/patch/4891/
> Arguments for using iproute2 instead of l2tpv3tun  might still apply

Interesting, I didn't know iproute could handle static L2TP tunnels.  In
the case of L2TPv2, a daemon is needed to handle the PPP part.

On a related note, there is a large amount of code duplication in network
scripts when dealing with PPP (ppp, pppoe, pppoa, pptp and l2tpv2
protocols).