[OpenWrt-Devel] Current state of extroot, how to use it, what about ubi(fs)

Gergely Kiss mail.gery at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:23:51 EST 2014

Hi Rafał,

please allow me to comment on your 2nd point as I was the one who
recently published the patch to make extroot functionality work with
UBIFS.

"It seems that if there isn't "rootfs" MTD partition,
then the code will look for "rootfs" UBI volume. The same applies to
the "rootfs_data"."

That's correct.

"But what if my serial flash contains "rootfs" + "rootfs_data"
partitions and I still want to use some UBI volume on another flash
(NAND one)?"

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Are there any devices
out there with multiple flash chips on-board? As far as I know, UBI
cannot work on top of block devices (eg. USB flashes, SD cards), only
raw flash chips so I can't really imagine what exact use-case you
mean. Could you please clarify?

Thanks,
Gergely