[OpenWrt-Devel] Squirrel instead of Lua?

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:53:57 EDT 2014

Hello,

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:24:49 +0200
"valent.turkovic at gmail.com" <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, definitely. But based on the above experience, as soon as I
> > heard about MicroPython project, I put on hold any Squirrel
> > activity, instead motivating MicroPython author to release it as
> > OpenSource sooner rather than latter, and since the code was
> > released, I'm fervently hacking on it instead. Python has active
> > and wide community, and MicroPython is pretty good technically. So,
> > if you're interested in good, unbloated high-level language, please
> > consider looking at MicroPython - I now posted an announcement in
> > separate thread.
>
> Paul thanks for the info regarding MicroPython. Is there maybe a
> OpenWrt package already available? How did you use it on OpenWrt, was
> it hard to crosscompile? Mos of devices I use are mips based (ar71xx)
> and would like to use MicroPython on these devices.

Well, I just yesterday posted mail which should answer some of these
questions:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2014-August/027372.html .
So, I didn't use uPy on OpenWRT much beyond just testing that it runs.
Thought when this "writing unbloated Python" recursion ends, I hope to
be back to writing my smarthoming apps for TL-WR703N, this time with
just small BT module sticking from USB, not a mess of router, USB hub,
flash and BT.

I didn't make proper OpenWRT recipe yet, just built with the SDK.
Cross-compiling shouldn't be big trouble, the only trick is that uPy
uses some assembly code for optimal handling of garbage collection and
exceptions, and there's no such code for MIPS yet. There's
implementation using standard C setjmp/longjmp, but it needs to be
enabled explicitly using compile flags.
https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython/blob/cross/unix/build-mips.sh
shows which options are needed.

--