[OpenWrt-Devel] Making sense of OpenWRT / Linksys WRT1900AC collaboration claims

Andrew Johnson ajohnson at draster.com
Fri Apr 18 08:44:46 CEST 2014

(See below)
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Matthew Fatheree <
Matthew.Fatheree at belkin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 19:27 -0700, Andrew Johnson wrote:
> > As already pointed out by Felix, your patches do not contain the
> > necessary wireless driver, so OpenWRT users are not actually able to
> > create a working firmware for the WRT1900AC with those patches. So
> > your statement that "users are able to access those [patches], and
> > create a firmware image while the approval process completes." isn't
> > true, because said firmware image wouldn't actually work.
> >
> The firmware can be built with what we have provided, and will run on
> the WRT1900AC successfully.  It is true that it would lack wireless
> support, but that would not stop the firmware from actually working.  We
> are actively working on the package to support the wireless hardware,
> this will not be overlooked.

Oh. I had figured this goes without saying, but I guess I was wrong --
For all intents and purposes, lack of wireless functionality in a wireless
router firmware means the firmware doesn't work. Nobody in their right mind
is going to pay $250 USD for an 802.11ac wireless router that purports
OpenWRT support in order to use it with OpenWRT as a wired-only router. No
one.
So with that being said, I would submit to you that making statements like
"It is true that it would lack wireless support, but that would not stop
the firmware from actually working" does more damage than good in
conversations like this. The lack of the wireless support is indeed the
very thing that is stopping the firmware from working. It'd be nice to
avoid things like that moving forward if at all possible -- as the saying
goes, don't pee on my boots and tell me it's raining.

> I apologize for the confusion.  I am optimistic, that things will be
> cleared up soon.
>
> I appreciate your enthusiasm.

I'm still willing to wait and see what happens. But so far, I feel this is
a horrible start on the OpenWRT support front -- especially marketing wise.
Again, here's a review from someone that bought this product expecting
OpenWRT support based on the marketing materials and was quite disappointed
- http://amzn.to/1f0z4p8

Regards,

Andrew