[OpenWrt-Devel] Comprehensive ipv4 and ipv6 unaligned access, patch for ar71xx

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Apr 23 20:43:36 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 20:14 +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> (Now, what I'm not sure whether OpenWRT already has this: to fully
> utilize IPv6 over here, what you need to have is dynamic IPv6 prefix
> support using DHCP-PD.  As in "router queries ISP for a prefix, ISP
> assigns 2001:db8:1::/56, router assigns 2001:db8:1:1::/64 to LAN,
> 2001:db8:1:2::/64 for WiFi and informs radvd that this is the prefix
> to be used".  AVM's Fritz!Box does this nicely today, but not with
> open source components...)

It's documented here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/dhcp6c

I haven't actually tried it; I have to manually configure the range of
Legacy IP addresses anyway, so it's easy enough to configure the IPv6
too. But I *will* try it, and make sure it interoperates with my ISP
correctly.

We should make sure it's enabled by default.

There should be no need for anyone to disable IPv6, except perhaps if
they mean by that "turn off automatic 6to4". If they're stuck in the
20th century and don't have IPv6 routing, they won't get IPv6. What's to
disable?

(And no, I wouldn't advocate 6to4 being enabled by default anyway).

--
dwmw2