[OpenWrt-Devel] openwrt trunk on soekris net48xx fixes

Bruno Randolf br1 at thinktube.com
Mon Feb 15 02:12:10 CET 2010

On Saturday 13 February 2010 19:57:08 ulf kypke wrote:
> hello bruno,
> welcome back ;-)
>
> 2010/2/13 Bruno Randolf <br1 at thinktube.com>:
> > hello!
> >
> > trying to use todays openwrt trunk on a soekris net4826 i ran into the
> > following problems:
> >
> > 1) the default kernel 2.6.31.12 does not boot (system continually
> > reboots) and does not show any output on the serial console. i updated to
> > kernel 2.6.32.8, which works better, but:
>
> i remember this issue on soekris as well, when i tested on soekris
> ne45xx versions,
> so i was using ext2 filesystems on compact flash cards. i do not have
> 48xx soekris, they have an newer amd geode i only have 45xx and they
> have amd elan.
>
> > 2) target/linux/x86/patches-2.6.32/300-block2mtd_init.patch causes the
> > kernel (now 2.6.32.8) to oops. i can boot into a block2mtd device without
> > it, so i think it can be removed.
>
> maybe this was used / needed on an older kernel version, i think not
> so many people are using soekris anymore, so it was just forgotten to
> test again.
>
> > 3) we have the issue of the "console" entry in grub menu.lst. it makes
> > grub really slow on the soekris boards. this is also mentioned in:
>
> yes this issue is an old bug, still alive ;-)
> you can get rid of the entry "console" in target/linux/x86/image/menu.lst
>
> the seial bausrate is defined in ./target/linux/x86/image/Config.in
> as war as i remember.
>
> > https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/4753
> > https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/2421
> > http://firmware.leipzig.freifunk.net/kamikaze/_patches/x86-soekris-net480
> >1- grub-serial.patch
> >
> > other x86_generic platforms need the "console" options, so how can we
> > change this conditionally based on Profile/net48xx?
> >
> > 4) serial speed should be 19200 by default, since this is the default
> > setting of the bios. same here, this should probably be defaulted based
> > on the profile.
> >
> > if you can tell me how to check for a profile in the image/Makefile i'll
> > send in a patch...
>
> if you check target x86 and subtarget generic, then you can choose
> alix wrap and soekris 45xx and 48xx boards.
> they are defined in ./target/linux/x86/generic/profiles/

hi ulf!

thank you for confirming this. i am actually searching for a solution which
will get it right automatically when you select a profile. i'll send in a
patch soon.

there are other differences between the boards, e.g. there could be different
kernel configurations (optimizations) for different profiles. do we need to
care about these?

best greetings,
bruno