[VOTE] Switch 'master' to 'main' branch for repositories

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Mon Feb 27 08:17:37 PST 2023

On 27.02.23 15:55, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> On 27.02.2023 14:17, Daniel Golle wrote:
>> So while this change certainly has a political component, it is also
>> just about matching what everybody else is doing by now. And as with
>> every default value, there should be a sound argument if you'd like to
>> divert from that default.
>
> So all this change proposal is some political stuff? What's political
> about git branch name?! I don't like idea of OpenWrt project startng
> some political games.
>
> What exactly is that about? Anyone cares to explain clearly?
>
> I'm not even sure if Felix had any politic in mind, I don't see any
> info about it in his e-mail.
I didn't have any political agenda with this proposal at all. In fact my
personal opinion is that I find some of the similarly-intended proposals
for language changes in other bubbles on the internet to be rather
questionable.

That said, some people in the project would like to see the branch name
change and other things that have become mainstream to be implemented in
OpenWrt as well.

My stance is that I don't mind the master -> main branch name change in
any way, as long as the migration is done in a way that's not
unnecessarily irritating.

When it comes to other language change proposals, I'm going to evaluate
them on a case-by-case basis and then ACK/NACK them.
For example, if somebody would propose that we need to change
'man-in-the-middle attack' to 'person-in-the-middle attack', I would
definitely NACK it for being too ridiculous.

- Felix