Ongoing costs and donation campaign at same time as 21.02 release?

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Sat May 22 03:09:18 PDT 2021

Hi,

As discussed already in the past, several parts of the infra are paid for
privately by project members.  This can be a burden and I think the
project would be better off if it could support itself financially.

As a first step, we should have a clear view of the ongoing costs.  I just
updated this page, can everybody check if something is missing or if costs
are wrong?

https://openwrt.org/infrastructure#hosting_infrastructure_and_costs

I separated "expected cost" = "what we would pay on the market price" from
"actual cost" = "what we actually pay" which is sometimes 0.

As a next step, we can check if the project would be sustainable at the
current rate of donations if everything was paid for using SFC-held funds.

If not, I would like to start a donation campaign at the same time as the
21.02 release.  Since it's time-consuming, we should aim for a large goal
(e.g. fund the next 5 years of operations, anticipating growth).

What do you think?

Baptiste