New CDN via fastly.com

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Fri Jan 22 16:00:28 EST 2021

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 19:05, Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> wrote:
> Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> [2021-01-21 16:39:09]:
>
> Hi,
>
>>  Due to the recent buildbot issues with updating feeds
>
> you mean those general networking issues at OSUOSL or some occasional
> buildworker hiccups?

I've spun up my own buildbot setup and one of every 68 builds (2 x all
targets) fails because of issues with git.openwrt.org cloning. That may
change depending on overall load, I have no extensive statistics. We
could also add a "retry" command to the buildbot setup.

>>  should add all standard feeds as folders to sources.o.o and change
>> the
>>  default feeds file to download from the CDN rather than git.o.o.
>
> I don't follow here. Are you suggesting, that we should sunset
> `git-src` feed
> update method? How do you plan to replace `git-src`?

 From my understanding Git works over HTTPS and can therefore be
distributed over a CDN rather than our main git instance.

src-git telephony https://git.openwrt.org/feed/telephony.git

becomes

src-git telephony https://git.cdn.openwrt.org/feed/telephony.git

No need for any sunsets.

>>  This should give a massive release to the git servers and future
>> failures.
>
> One can still use github/gitlab mirrors as a fallback.

I tried that but at least GitHub has a tighter IP limit for cloning.

Paul