A new 'main" branch with different history than 'master' ????

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sun Feb 28 09:10:15 EST 2021

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 11:21:44PM -1000, Paul Spooren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 09:24, Hannu Nyman <hannu.nyman at iki.fi> wrote:
> > I just noticed that the main OpenWrt repo has now a new "main " branch
> > in addition to "master", and that those branches have a different commit
> > history.
> >

> > The last common commit is
> > 464451d9ab kernel: no chacha-mips.ko on mips32 r1 targets
> >
> > The new 'main' has then this by dgolle:
> > 620fff9838 tools: add cpio
> >
> > while the normal 'master' continues with this committed by Adrian:
> > 598de0f41c kernel: move some new symbols available on 5.10 to generic
> >

> > If there is some intentional movement from master to main, it should be
> > communicated and coordinated. But I do not remember seeing any such
> > announcement. Is something like that in the air?
>

> I assume this was an accident. The default branch is still `master` and
> therefore whoever pulls openwrt.git uses this version. If possible please
> force push `main` to be the same as `master`. After that we could add a
> mirror script which copies `master` to `main` on each push, allowing us to
> migrate buildbots.
>
> Saying this, I assume everyone is in favor to migrate from master to main.
> If there are other opinions on that, I'll start a vote. In that case I'd
> delete the `main` branch until we voted.

Sorry, that was a mistake. I intended to add a 'main' branch and
replace 'master' in my staging tree (I didn't succeed, it doesn't let
me remove 'master'), must have happened somewhere along those lines.
Just delete it for now.

But yes, the debate kinda got ignored in the meeting where nobody could
hear me. I think we should use 'main', 'default', ... or something
which isn't attributed to or even trivializes colonializm.