Revising OpenWrt Rules

Adrian Schmutzler mail at adrianschmutzler.de
Wed Sep 23 09:52:44 EDT 2020

Hi,

... "and by deciding on contributions from other developers that are no "decisionmakers"".

> The project adopts proposals by a majority
> vote of all Decisionmakers.
>
> OpenWrt's success hinges on the trust developed between Decisionmakers.
> Because they trust the judgement of other Decisionmakers, the project can
> move forward without every Decisionmaker needing to examine every issue.
>
> A contributor to OpenWrt may become a Decisionmaker when it is obvious
> that they have a track record of high quality submissions (code,

"Contributions" instead of "submissions"; submissions is more limited IMO.

> documentation, organizational suggestions, etc) that enhance the project.

... "and there is the expectation of a sustained interest in OpenWrt."

> After a nomination by (one? two?) Decisionmakers, a simple majority vote is

IMO it's better if a nomination has been discussed with other decisionmakers before posting it, but I wouldn't make that a requirement.

> needed to welcome a new Decisionmaker.
>
> To ensure that OpenWrt always has a quorum for votes, Decisionmakers are
> required to remain active in the project. We will develop a process whereby
> the Project can remind members of their obligations, and remove them from
> the rolls if they cannot/no longer wish to participate.
>
> [I am less sure of this next point - I'm happy to discuss...] In the founding
> spirit of LEDE/OpenWrt, all Decisionmakers may request, and automatically
> be granted, permission to commit changes to code, the documentation,

"... be granted access to all subsystems/compartments/whatever, e.g. permission to commit changes ..."

> forum, etc. However, we rely on the judgement of all Decisionmakers to
> recognize their strengths and only request the permissions necessary for
> their participation.

instead of "and only request ..." I'd be more general and put something like "... and use their power wisely."

As expressed already in the virtual meeting, I think every "Decisionmaker" should have the _right_ to get access everywhere, as anything different would introduce ranks between us.
It's our task to choose people wisely so they act responsibly without a need to control them.

Of course, this doesn't mean everybody will get access everywhere _automatically_. I think if somebody is accepted, it will be obvious what he/she is interested in, and the person will get access there. So a coder might obviously get access to git.openwrt.org and GitHub, but won't miss Wiki admin rights and adding him there by default might be a waste of time anyway...

Best

Adrian