Publish firmware selector

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Thu Nov 5 16:29:11 EST 2020

On Thu Nov 5, 2020 at 2:24 AM HST, Daniel Golle wrote:
> Tried for a bit, it's missing a lot of ar71xx-only devices :(
> That's sad, because most of them won't ever be added to ath79 and it's
> kinda the last chance for users finding more or less up to date
> firmware for them. Examples: Allnet ALL0305, Allnet ALL0258N,
> ALFA Networks Hornet-UB, ...
> Are there plans to make images for those available as well and/or
> indicate whether the ath79 or ar71xx variant is being referenced?

The selector is based on JSON files generated via image.mk. Anything
using legacy image creation won't produce these files.

I don't plan to manually add those files nor creating a legacy JSON
mechanism, hoping it would be accepted in the next point release. Sorry.

> I also noticed that when searching for RaspberryPi 3B, it is not
> clear whether the 64-bit (bcm2910) or the 32-bit (bcm2909) build is
> being probivded, it may be quite crucial for users to know that.

I'd say that's an *upstream issue* regarding device naming. My
suggestion is to add (32Bit) or (64Bit) as DEVICE_VARIANT to
bcm27xx/image/Makefile.

The selector must avoid heuristics as this becomes a never ending story
of tedious maintenance.