[VOTE] move primary DNS to DO

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Mon May 7 02:36:37 EDT 2018

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM, John Crispin <john at phrozen.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> DNS has been down for 24 hours and i have been failing to contact the server
> admin. It looks like DNS is slowly expiring over the tree and more service
> start to not work for more people as time moves by. SPI will move the
> secondary to the SPI servers and we should consider moving primary to the DO
> server. As this is rather critical and bad we should hurry up, so i wiould
> like to propose that we simply go by a 5 or more ACK and no NAK vote and get
> the ball rolling. even if we move the primary right now it'll take a few
> days till things run smoothly again. its not only the servers that are not
> reachable but all builders, mirrors, opkg, ... is also failing.
>
> so ... ACK from me for moving primary DNS to DO

Whether it counts or not, I vote +1 for DNS on DO.

I have a personal server [for a while now] and use DO's DNS servers.
Way easier to administer than setting up bind9 rules, and no
interruptions for email stuff [MX records].
I used to get a few of them when using my own.

Related: cloudflare is also a good service just for DNS [and on
reliability stuff]; but makes sense to use DO if hosting on their
infra.

>     John

Alex