[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Wed May 10 17:54:04 EDT 2017

On 05/09/2017 10:12 AM, Hans Dedecker wrote:
> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:50 AM, John Crispin <john at phrozen.org> wrote:

>>> This is unclear to me. Are we postponing setting rules with SPI on how
>>> they should manage domains? I guess it should be handled at the same
>>> time: specifying rules (majority of votes?) and handling domains.
>>
>> SPi will need a new liaison officer (team). we need to vote on who this will
>> be. apart from that SPI will be pointed at the wiki page listing voters and
>> rules. domains will be handed over to them
> SPI offers different services to projects like accepting donations and
> holding funds, legal assistance, technical services, etc ... Apart
> from handing over the domains do we want to make use of any of the
> services offered by SPI ?
>
> Further nice to read we convergence again; thx for the effort !

I would like if we take the same services as OpenWrt did in the past
from SPI (Software in the Public Interest) + the DNS / Domain service as
mentioned in this mail.

* SPI holds the OpenWrt trademark for the OpenWrt project
* SPI accepts donations for the OpenWrt project (incl. tax reduction)
* SPI manages the OpenWrt "bank" account
* SPI gave legal advice for the trademark and will help on other topics

OpenWrt had 6040.14 USD in the account at SPI by 1.1.2017, 1621.13 USD
were donated to OpenWrt in the year 2016:
http://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/reports/201612/#index58h4

In my opinion SPI did a good job and did everything we asked them for
and did not try to take over the project or something like this. ;-)
>From my understanding no one has a problem with the SPI, but some people
are a reluctant against some of the other organizations.

We need a new representation at the SPI and should vote about it.

Hauke