[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Eric Luehrsen ericluehrsen at hotmail.com
Mon May 8 21:33:51 EDT 2017

Glad to hear the merge is coming and that enough issues were resolved to
make this go forward. So ... I'll just throw my thoughts into the hopper.

 > On 05/08/2017 09:19 AM, John Crispin wrote:
>
> *) branding

 From a raw objective stand, OpenWrt has better market value as a brand.
Its longer lived on the net and more unique audibly. If we surveyed 1000
somewhat technical people, then we would have way more recognition hits.
I realize the vote concluded already, but hopefully this thought helps
ease some less happy minds.

> *) git / github

This is were LEDE staging model can really shine, if you use it. Lock
both OpenWrt and LEDE to new business for set dates. Close all
outstanding PR in  both. Perform any "best of" merge activity in staging
areas with core members who have time to participate. (not plebes from
the peanut gallery like me.) Iterate on a few broken merges. Push the
new-and-improved tree to OpenWrt. Reopen for business.

If the project will use github, then have all project components
(netifd, procd, odhcpd/c) use github. The half-in-half-out can be
confusing and exclude participation.

 > *) landing page

I would toss up a third possibility. Why not use the LuCI boot-strap
theme as inspiration? The OpenWrt headline and radial from openwrt.org
is good but the paneling could look a little more modern.

> *) trac

At some point, archive to raw text documents. No body wants to delete
anything, but maintaining an active server-application to that end is
just a burden.

> *) email accounts

For OpenWrt integrity, I would recommend a more assertive removal of
personal email accounts. I realize this is contentious, but long term it
protects OpenWrt from individuals who may attempt to misuse the brand.

> *) wiki / forum

There are long running discussions in each forum that serve as
"documentation" in the absence of "documentation." OpenWrt wiki has a
lot of outdated information. LEDE wiki is sparse. Closing this question
requires a focused effort on improved documentation. Its easier to
change if the human dependencies are not so tenuous.

> *) trademark/sponsorship

OpenWrt may generate a high value brand target in the future. Having
seen charities and non-profits overrun by their sponsors I would simply
urge caution. All most all sponsors have good intentions, selfish
promotion yes, but good for the sponsored entity. It only requires one
that doesn't and a hungry lawyer to make things difficult. Key sponsor
concepts: non-exclusive sponsorship, limited term sponsorship, and no
product delivery for sponsorship.