Linux Foundation

Zoltan HERPAI wigyori at uid0.hu
Thu Mar 9 11:46:30 EST 2017

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for giving the OpenWrt members a vote right on this
one, given that we're still somewhat separated yet.

1) Remerge
Yes. It's been said a couple times already that LEDE did improve on
things - some of which were long overdue in OpenWrt. While we can argue
whether these were blocked, ignored, or just forgotten, it can't be
argued that change is good and You guys should be credited for it.
I for one don't want to keep explaining to people who did what, what's
happening, why did OpenWrt stop any development, and what will happen
now and when - this split-brain scenario should be ended and all
development efforts reunited under the same umbrella, as this hurts us
(OpenWrt), hurts you (LEDE), hurts the community and hurts the industry.
I don't necessarily agree with some small parts of the new charta, but
that's something where I believe in discussing things, and if I'm talked
down, well I can go to hell, or agree with the majority and the "modus
operandi". ;)

2) Rebrand
I stay with my opinion that the project should stay under the name OpenWrt.
Parts of the community / small parts of the industry could have started
leaning towards LEDE, but a full rename in the heads of everyone can
take 2-3 years, both in the community and the industry, whether the new
name is LEDE or ShinyFirmwareforWhatever. I saw Openoffice/Libreoffice
mentioned in this thread, but I for one still have to think which one to
download whether I get to a new desktop. I also don't agree with the
idea of having "LEDE as trunk and OpenWrt as release", that's not really
a merge, and would also lead to further misunderstandings. While I see
the idea and thought of world domination behind the "LEDE" abbreviation,
that's probably not the way to go.

Regards,
Zoltan Herpai