Fading out PolarSSL

Steven Barth steven at midlink.org
Tue Jan 3 11:32:51 EST 2017

Hey everyone,

> Currently known remaining users of polarssl are:
>
>  * bmx7
>  * pianod
>  * shadowsocks-libev-polarssl
>  * shairport-sync-mini
>  * shairport-sync-polarssl
>  * transmission-cli-polarssl
>  * transmission-daemon-polarssl
>  * transmission-remote-polarssl
>  * umurmur-polarssl
>

> Please provide feedback on which approach you'd prefer and if you'd be
> affected by the PolarSSL deprecation or not.

I think for all but the first two from this list, there is a
non-polarssl version already packaged.
Which would mainly leave bmx7 and pianod as main concerns. I think the
former used to work with cyassl
at some point in time and the latter should work with gnutls. Both of
which we have, so it might just
be a minor change to the packaging Makefiles.

So from my point of view dropping libpolarssl now (with a bit of upfront
notice to the maintainers)
makes more sense than trying to drop a package later which is a bit of
unexpected and am not sure if
it can be effectively announced in a service release and just delays the
inevitable.

Cheers,

Steven