Release planning

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:54:32 EST 2016

On 22 December 2016 at 13:42, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 December 2016 at 20:13, Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:
>> - Are there any outstanding changes?
>>
>>   Is there important changes we should wait for before branching the
>>   release? Is there pending stuff in the staging trees which should
>>   absolutely go into the first release?
>
> 1) Possible brcmfmac fix
> I'm working on this for last few days, if that happens to work, it may
> improve brcmfmac stability.

Ignore that. I believe it's just FullMAC firmware bug I'm seeing.

> 2) Better support for tri-band devices in brcmfmac
> I didn't start working on this yet, but it should be easy and many
> people were complaining on this issue.

I have early patches for this:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9490479/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9490481/

> 3) Per device rootfs for brcm47xx
> Everything is prepared, I just need to make sure rootfs don't get
> bigger and then I need to specify packages.

I was worried there may be some bug, because adding
DEVICE_PACKAGES := kmod-ath5k
for one device affected rootfs size of all other devices.

After analyzing this I discovered rootfs got bigger because of two
files getting fatter:
/usr/lib/libiwinfo.so
/usr/sbin/wpad

If you think about this, it makes sense, because enabling ath5k
changed options used for compiling libiwinfo and hostapd. Compiling
hostapd with things like:
-DCONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211
-DNEED_AP_MLME
-DCONFIG_ACS
-DCONFIG_SME
can obviously increase its size.

So after all it's not a bug and it was like this all the time if using
CONFIG_ALL. I'll work on brcm47xx target during next days.