[LEDE-DEV] Release planning

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Dec 22 03:33:12 EST 2016

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016, James Feeney wrote:
> On 12/21/2016 12:13 PM, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:

>> Tags will follow the format "vYY.MM.N[-RC#]" with YY.MM being the base
>> release version, N being the number of the minor release and an optional
>> -RC# designating release candidate numbers.
>
> With respect to the version name, do you really want to use a "dash" instead of
> a "period", for the release candidate numbers?  I would think that adding the
> character string "RC" already provides enough information to distinguish a
> release candidate - where the ".n" suffix would be changed to ".RCm" - and that
> changing ".n" to "-RCm" just makes this suffix more difficult to parse.  Would
> it not be more practical to consistently use a "period" as the suffix delimiter?

I missed this, you don't want to use a dash or a period, you want to use a tilde
'~'

the reason for this is sort order, if something is sorting versions with an
alpha sort, you want the ~rc to show up as older than the YY.MM release, and you
want that to show up as older than the YY.MM.N releases.

David Lang