OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 10:28:26 PST 2024

I have often tried to point out that what matters most in wifi is low
interference, better multiplexing across devices, and good bandwidth
*at range*. Up until very recently the 6ghz stuff mostly had terrible
bandwidth, jitter and latency at range, and everyone shipping it
bleeding into all the channels, futility compensating for lousy device
drivers, on stupid, unrealistic benchmarks.

So I at least do not feel a huge urge to get on the 6ghz bandwagon at
this time. I would actually, be happy cutting even more multiplexing
latency out of the ath9k chips, and there is much fat left to be cut
from the mt79 also, and the benefits of many people focused on
building on top of a single stable *inexpensive* platform and working
all the bugs out of it - that has a lot of shared characteristics with
the higher end gear - cannot be underestimated. I still have wndr3800s
running for years at a time, running openwrt.

To date most of the pi-alikes have had absolutely terrible wifi, often
only a single crappy antenna and connected via usb or worse i2c.
Fixing that would be marvellous. a 3x3 as in this board, *lust*

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ADByjakzQXCj9Re_pUvrb5Qe5OK-QmhlYRLMBY4vH4/edit

On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 1:17 PM Janusz Dziedzic
<janusz.dziedzic at gmail.com> wrote:

> wt., 9 sty 2024 o 18:59 Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> napisał(a):

> > > Even will be 150$ it is still good price for router with 2.4/5/6GHz
> > > (MTK base ACER predator W6 is about 200$).
> > > Or at least add extra m2 AE Key slot - then we can put there mt7916
> > > card, as possible extension (eg.
> > > https://asiarf.com/product/wi-fi-6e-m-2-ae-key-module-mt7916-aw7916-aed/).
> > > What will be price in case of this extra m2 AE Key slot?
> >
> > You can use M.2 key adapters for that
> > https://www.delock.com/produkt/63343/merkmale.html
> >
> > An additional slot is *not* an option as we got only a single PCIe lane.
> >
> > Hopefully there are also going to be single-band (6 GHz only) 4T4R or
> > even 4T5R modules based on MT7916E available at some point...
>
> Seems bpi-r4 will use two miniPCIe slots for that:
> https://wiki.banana-pi.org/Getting_Started_with_BPI-R4#4.29_Wi-Fi7_NIC
>
> If we don't have two PCIe then probably no option for 6ghz

40 years of net history, a couple songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RGX6QFm5E
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos