snort3 (at least) not building in 23.05

Eric evil.function at proton.me
Tue Apr 9 09:59:01 PDT 2024

I noticed this before, but never looked at it.  snort3 is building packages for all releases and snapshot since it was introduced, but it is not building in 23.05.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/snort-on-openwrt-23-05-3/194225

If I run
$ scripts/feeds clean
$ make clean
$ git checkout main (or v23.05.3)
$ scripts/feeds update -a
$ scripts/feeds install -1

then
$ find . -iname '*snort3*'

everything looks fine, both main and 23.05 branch show the expected package

$ ll package/feeds/packages/snort3/
Permissions Size User      Date Modified    Git Name
drwxr-xr-x@    - efahlgren 2024-04-09 09:27  -- .
drwxr-xr-x@    - efahlgren 2024-04-09 09:27  -- ..
drwxr-xr-x@    - efahlgren 2024-04-09 09:27  -- files
.rw-r--r--@ 4.3k efahlgren 2024-04-09 09:27  -- Makefile

I do
$ make menuconfig
and then search '/snort3', both v23.05.3 and main show expected path at 'Network -> Firewall', but in 23.05 when I navigate to that tree, snort3 does not appear at the expected location.

So, I manually modify .config, adding 'CONFIG_PACKAGE_snort3=m', then run 'make defconfig', it disappears from .config

$ grep snort .config
CONFIG_PACKAGE_snort3=m

$ make defconfig
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/libmpc/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libmpfr', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/python-gmpy2/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libmpfr', which does not exist
#
# configuration written to .config
#

$ grep snort .config
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_snort is not set

And then, of course, building results in no snort3...

Anyone have a clue what could do this?

Thanks,
Eric