Objective of OpenWRT/x86?

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Mon May 1 08:32:52 PDT 2023

On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 09:01:29AM -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> > On May 1, 2023, at 8:12 AM, Joseph Mullally <jwmullally at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> So the guest has the potential to crash or hang the host?
> >
> > I ran the OpenWrt x86/64 image under KVM/libvirtd for years with an
> > Intel Wifi card connected through exclusive PCI passthrough, and it
> > worked fine. There is enough conjecture already.
>

> From one anecdotal episode I'm not going to extrapolate that this is a robust solution in all cases; I wouldn't get very far as a cyber security engineer thinking this way.

Maybe the fact that PCI passthrough is facilitated by the IOMMU which
takes care of resource isolation makes you feel a bit better about it?
The host from this point on doesn't deal with that PCIe slot any more,
and passtrough is happening entirely in hardware.

However, keep in mind that access to PCIe in most cases (such as WiFi
adapters) doesn't assume the user could be a bad actor. You will probably
still be able to do bad things with it, esp. if you know the hardware
well (such as triggering overheat/overcurrent, deliberately creating
radio interference with other system parts, ...).