netifd Call Flow - WiFi

Paul Oranje por at oranjevos.nl
Mon Mar 20 09:06:31 PDT 2023

Op 16 mrt. 2023, om 05:06 heeft Ravi Paluri (QUIC) <quic_rpaluri at quicinc.com> het volgende geschreven:

> I think wifi interface going up and coming down is expected.
> Can anyone help with flow how does netifd know that wifi interface is up and where it adds this IP to the interface?
The netifd daemon implements a FSM [0] (several nested FSMs, though I haven't looked into the sources) and as such the actual call flow will be dependent on the state of the FSM when it processes a specific event (or command).

Have a look at the DESIGN doc [1]. That rather terse document ends though with "## TODO: Configuration management, ubus callbacks" so you'll have to look into the code to see how uci changes are handled. Maybe this helps understanding observed state transitions when for instance handling a configuration change.

Good luck

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite-state_machine
[1] https://github.com/openwrt/netifd/blob/master/DESIGN