[EXT] config_default vs subtargets having their own config_<ver>?

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Mon Mar 6 14:33:04 PST 2023

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023 at 10:25 PM Andy Tang <andy.tang at nxp.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for doing this.
> I suggest to have config_<kver> for each subtargs in the subtarget dirs..

Andy,

I would tend to agree that config_<kever> makes more sense. I'm not
sure I understand what the point of the config_default files were; I
can't find any documentation and I'm confused at how OpenWrt creates
the .config file for the kernel build directory.

I'm also not understanding how 'make kernel_menuconfig' deals with
multiple config file fragments and how to separate the configs between
subtargets.

I have a created a minimal defconfig for imx/cortexa7, imx/cortexa9,
and imx/cortex53 by building these subtargets then doing a 'make -C
<kernel_builddir> savedefconfig' but now I'm not sure how to be split
them up.

> I have sent the patches for adding the imx8 platform.
> But it can't be accepted due to the firmware issue.
> Basically the DDR firmware for im8x was released by a self-extracted binary.
> When extracted, customer need to accept the EULA which is not accepted by OpenWRT community.
>
> Have you solved this problem?

Yes, I saw your patches and what followed. My solution is to eliminate
the boot firmware which also removes the added complication that the
various imx8 soc's have binary incompatible firmware and locations
that it needs to be flashed to.

Best Regards,

Tim