Compile only root filesystem like Buildroot

Arınç ÜNAL arinc.unal at arinc9.com
Tue Jan 10 14:41:29 PST 2023

On 11.01.2023 01:19, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 5:38 PM Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.unal at arinc9.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to create a root filesystem archive? Is there a directory
>> where the final filesystem is extracted before turned to a squashfs image?
>
> It's right there in the Kconfig menu:
> Target Images ->
>    * .tar.gz
>
> Appears in your bin/ ... along with the rest.
>
> Just tar xvfz as root in some USB stick or so.

Thanks. I extracted it to include an init file at / (see other mail on
the thread for why) and fed the directory as initramfs source on the
kernel config.

I'm currently studying how I would write a squashfs filesystem to SPI
flash. I know how to write a file to SPI flash but the remaining is
currently a mystery to me.

By the way, I'm also doing some tests with lzma decompression on U-Boot.
I'll reply on your thread when I have some results.

Arınç