Best practices for meta packages with variants

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri Apr 7 11:17:29 PDT 2023

Hi,

Hoping to get a little guidance from my peers.  I'm trying to create a meta-package that can be selected and it will include all of the subordinate/dependent packages, but in this case one of the subordinate packages comes in two variants (IPv4-only or IPv4/v6):

https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/20731

What's the best way to handle this?  Are there any good examples already in the codebase of how to express this?

Specifically this part:

https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/20731/files#diff-00606439ee2b214f1dbac09d66df596b3cc63d3b98e49aab0fa05e0fa127250aR138

Should the meta package also have IPv4/IPv6 variants?  That seems clumsy...

Thanks,

-Philip