DSA Terminology

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 17:04:30 PDT 2022

Thanks for all this discussion. I have read everyone's notes carefully, but I feel as if I am falling farther and farther behind.

I don't understand the distinctions between the terms that everyone is using. (The networking field is replete with synonyms for the same thing: "interface" (and device, port, jack, socket, interface, etc.) might refer to that hole in the back of a computer that receives an RJ-45 connector. And "interface" (and network, subnet, address range and others) might apply to the 192.168.1.1 .. 255 concept. I think that's what's happening here.)

Perhaps I have missed a glossary for these terms. Just point me to one that works for this DSA discussion. If there isn't one, we need to make one.

As a start, certain terms have cropped up multiple times in this discussion. Could I ask for definitions for the following terms?

Network:

Interface:

Network Interface:

Device:

Netdev:

Other terms?

Once we have agreement on the terms/concepts above, we can begin to talk about how those names should be reflected in /etc/config/network and /etc/config/wireless and in the LuCI web GUI. Many thanks

Rich