DSA Mini-tutorial

Jo-Philipp Wich jo at mein.io
Wed Sep 7 14:12:55 PDT 2022

Hi,

>> I wrote this mostly because the LuCI interface itself makes a distinction
>> between the "Devices" tab and the "Interfaces" tab. But maybe this isn't the
>> best way to describe what goes there.
>
> I agree that there are inconsistencies in LuCI. The only place I see the
> terminology correctly stated is on the wireless section:
>
> Network: Lists all entries on the Interfaces section.
>
>> Choose the network(s) you want to attach to this wireless interface or >
> fill out the custom field to define a new network.
>
> Which correctly states that:
>
> Interfaces section should be called Networks.
> Devices section should be called Interfaces.

I agree that there's inconsistencies, I eventually want to clean that up.
Part of the terminology stems from uci itself, where `config interface`
declares logical *networks* while *interfaces* (as in Linux netdevs) are
referred to as `config device` (and `config wifi-*iface*` for wireless, which
probably should be named differently too).

Personally I am fine with rebranding the logical network entities (lan, wan,
loopback etc.) to "networks" but I am unsure about renaming what is currently
"devices" to "interfaces" as it would then intersect with the current meaning
of interfaces...

Anyhow, so while I agree that:

> Interfaces section should be called Networks.
> Devices section should be called Interfaces.

... it will directly contradict /etc/config/network, where networks are called
`config interface` and interfaces are called `config device` likely leading to
even more confusion.

~ Jo