DSA Mini-tutorial

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 11:32:55 PDT 2022

> On Sep 6, 2022, at 5:33 PM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't see much content to document DSA. All DSA does is creating a network interface for each switch port. What I think should be properly documented is the Bridge VLAN filtering feature. I have made some efforts to do that on my playground here:
>> https://openwrt.org/playground/arinc9/start
>
> Maybe this is enough to reference since it contains basic use cases, and not so basic ones, too:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/networking/dsa/configuration.rst
> --

I have the sense that the terminology surrounding DSA is very murky. But in the DSA Mini-tutorial, (https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/dsa/dsa-mini-tutorial) I made a distinction between "Devices" and "Interfaces in the Terminology section.

- Devices are things that 'send bits' without regard for IP address or subnets

- Interfaces correspond to IP subnet ranges, and the routing function within the router moves packets between interfaces.

I wrote this mostly because the LuCI interface itself makes a distinction between the "Devices" tab and the "Interfaces" tab. But maybe this isn't the best way to describe what goes there.

Perhaps we could get the designer of the LuCI interface and other networking gurus to weigh in on how to describe this. Thanks.

Rich

PS I don't have a dog in this fight. If the entire Mini-tutorial were scrapped, and replaced with a description of what's true and correct, I would be happy. Thanks again