gpio fiddling from userspace [Was: Re: gpio-mt7621 offset fix for 5.10 kernel series]

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Oct 19 00:14:30 PDT 2022

Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> writes:

>> Interesting.  This property doesn't seem to be used much in OpenWrt if
>> my grep foo is good. It should probably be added at least to every
>> system where we want to access GPIOs from userspace?
>
> Yes, that is my[1] understanding as well.
>
> 1. https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1366#issuecomment-444177376

If my qucik read of that is correct, then the main reason it didn't go
anywhere was because it was about libgpiod transition.

A simple start by adding properties to the board DTs where we already
have a named userspace GPIO in for example /etc/board.d/03_gpio_switches
should be a no brainer, or? Having the names in the device tree won't
force any userspace changes, but will allow them to happen later.

Bjørn