[RFC] dropping of $(AUTORELEASE) feature

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 01:18:38 PST 2022

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 10:29 AM Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > The AUTORELEASE has been a nice feature from the package PR maintenance
> > perspective.
> >
> > Earlier there was constant trouble with concurrent PRs for the same package
> > having the same PKG_RELEASE bump, or the maintainer doing a small change with
> > a bump while there was an open PR with the same bump. The led to trivial
> > conflicts and rebase needs for PRs. AUTORELEASE has tackled that nicely.
>
> it tackled it by sweeping the problem under the carpet and hiding the fact
> that those concurrent PRs were indeed conflicting. If the version targeted by
> a PR has been changed in the meanwhile it should not be made trivially
> mergable by hiding the actual revision from the sources.
>
> I agree that this increases maintenance burden but I believe that a CI side
> solution for those conflicting-because-of-deviating-PKG_RELEASE situations
> would be the better course of action.

So, is there a proposal/conclusion on how to proceed?
Or do we need/wait for a further discussion?
I'm fine either way, and whatever is decided, I will implement it.

I have a bunch of packages that I've been maintaining and been slowly
switching to the AUTORELEASE feature.
And I need to start doing some updates (for some packages that have
new releases).
And would like (if possible) to know what to do.

I will not add AUTORELEASE (if any packages have the case).
But, it will be a slow transition back to manual PKG_RELEASE.
I mean, I would do it in a not-very-fast-manner.
There's 469 packages using AUTORELEASE in the packages repo.
And 70 in openwrt core. Core has a different speed/rythm.

But for the packages feed, I think, in the course of 2-4 weeks and a
few PRs, we should be able to remove it (if needed).