[RFC] dropping of $(AUTORELEASE) feature

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Sun Nov 6 12:22:15 PST 2022

Paul Spooren kirjoitti 6.11.2022 klo 18.15:
> While I initially thought that $(AUTORELEASE) would be a nice feature to avoid the standard review comment “Please bump the PKG_RELEASE”, it turned into a massive increase of bandwidth usage: Every checkout of openwrt.git and package feeds needs to be a full clone instead of a shallow one to have all commits in place.
>
> I’m suggesting dropping that feature and instead implement a (GitHub) CI workflow which fails if the commit did not bump the PKG_RELEASE.
>
> It wasn’t a fully thought through idea and I think it’s time to revert it - sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Other thoughts?

The AUTORELEASE has been a nice feature from the package PR maintenance
perspective.

Earlier there was constant trouble with concurrent PRs for the same package
having the same PKG_RELEASE bump, or the maintainer doing a small change with
a bump while there was an open PR with the same bump. The led to trivial
conflicts and rebase needs for PRs. AUTORELEASE has tackled that nicely.