[Rpm] Seeking RPM Server package for OpenWrt

Christoph Paasch cpaasch at apple.com
Thu Mar 24 13:15:20 PDT 2022

> On Mar 23, 2022, at 12:23 PM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
>
> Christoph Paasch <cpaasch at apple.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Bjorn,
>>
>> Thanks for taking a look at this! Please see inline:

>>> There is no need to read anything from a file or device. You can just
>>> serve the same memory buffer in a loop.
>>
>> That's right! It does not really need to be a file. Some webserver
>> implementations have such a capability to generate random content in
>> memory. (e.g.,
>> https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/9.0.x/admin-guide/plugins/generator.en.html
>> <https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/9.0.x/admin-guide/plugins/generator.en.html>)
>>
>>> I did a quick look at the document and it seems under-specified. Page
>>> after page with blah-blah, but
>>> - not defining Content-Type for any of the URLs
>>
>> In what way is the content-type relevant for the responsiveness measurement ?
>
> It becomes relevant once one of the client or server implementations
> start making assumptions about it. Worst case is that you have two
> implementations making different assumptions. So you specify strict
> requirments to avoid that.

We could add a line saying that the content-type does not matter and must be ignored.

> This is pretty basic for any API. Maybe use OpenAPI or similar to
> for clarity instead of the home-grown API spec?

I feel like OpenAPI is quite a different beast compared to what we are doing here.

>>> - not defining ciphers or any other TLS options, despite the rather
>>> restrictive TLSv1.3 requirment
>>
>> I'm not sure in what way the cipher-suites are relevant to the
>> responsiveness measurement itself. In terms of deployment, it is the
>> same as for any other webservice. It is something that is usually not
>> specified in an IETF-draft as cipher-suites come and go.
>
> They're relevant the same way the Content-Type is. If you don't say
> anything then you might end up with all sorts of incompatible
> configurations.

This is a deployment problem, not a specification-problem for the particular purpose of measuring responsiveness.

For example, we don't specify whether IPv4 or IPv6 should be used.
Also, if we list cipher-suites and one of them gets deprecated our RFC would need to be updated as well.

Yeah, it could make sense to put something in the appendix (https://github.com/network-quality/draft-ietf-ippm-responsiveness/issues/39)

> Now I must admit that I haven't actually tried. But I assume it's
> possible to use most web servers for this purpose. Or a pretty simple
> python script, maybe.
>
>>> - no actual client algorithm
>>
>> Section 4 of the draft tries to explain the client algorithm. With
>> specifically Section 4.1.4 formalizing the "working conditions"
>> generation. Can you explain a bit more what parts are unclear to you?
>
> Re-reading this, I realize that I went out to harsh here. Sorry.
>
> I think it can be improved by replacing things like
>
> "It is left to the implementation what to do when saturation is not
> reached within that time-frame."
>
> with a precise description of what to do.

There are two approaches here:

Either, the implementation aborts and errors out.
Or, the implementation nevertheless measures the responsiveness and either presents the result as a valid result or as a result with a low confidence score.

We can probably outline the options that an implementation has. (https://github.com/network-quality/draft-ietf-ippm-responsiveness/issues/40)

Thanks for your feedback,
Christoph