Drop CONFIG_IPV6 ?

Rui Salvaterra rsalvaterra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 04:35:02 PDT 2022

Hi, Etienne,

On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 at 23:33, Etienne Champetier
<champetier.etienne at gmail.com> wrote:

> We currently have some circular dependencies caused by the usage of
> PROVIDES and @IPV6
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/9407

These don't seem unfixable.

> One radical way to fix, suggested by Jow, is to completely remove
> CONFIG_IPV6 from OpenWrt.

Please, don't.

> This would also allow to simplify packaging of some core components.
>
> Is anyone disabling CONFIG_IPV6 ?

Yes.

> Do people agree we can drop CONFIG_IPV6 ?

No.

Fix the dependencies instead, please. IPv6 is already enabled by
default in the official builds. People stuck with crappy IPv4-only
ISPs and doing their own builds will definitely be pissed off if they
find out their kernels were magically bloated for no reason.

Thanks,
Rui