Drop CONFIG_IPV6 ?

Sergey Ryazanov ryazanov.s.a at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 17:43:24 PDT 2022

Hello Etienne,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 2:36 AM Etienne Champetier
<champetier.etienne at gmail.com> wrote:
> We currently have some circular dependencies caused by the usage of
> PROVIDES and @IPV6
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/9407
>
> One radical way to fix, suggested by Jow, is to completely remove
> CONFIG_IPV6 from OpenWrt.
> This would also allow to simplify packaging of some core components.
>
> Is anyone disabling CONFIG_IPV6 ?

Yep. In many countries (e.g. in Russia) there are almost no ISPs with
IPv6, so from time to time I disable IPv6 support in custom builds.
Also, disabling IPv6 support saves some storage space on resource
constrained devices (e.g. whole ath25 target).

> Do people agree we can drop CONFIG_IPV6 ?

I do not think it is a good idea to drop this option today.

--
Sergey