IP-PBX users?

Torsten Duwe duwe at lst.de
Tue Jan 11 03:24:07 PST 2022

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 21:17:26 -0800
Bruce Ferrell <bferrell at baywinds.org> wrote:

> On 1/10/22 8:08 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >> On Jan 7, 2022, at 7:49 AM, Torsten Duwe <duwe at lst.de> wrote:

> >> Only FreeSwitch was able to do the
> >> proper DNS SRV lookup. I also found that it handles the forced DSL
> >> disconnects very gracefully.

> > Bruce & Torsten: what packages/resources/functions, etc. do you
> > enable in Asterisk?  There's a bazillion of them...

Yes indeed. I guesstimated most decisions based on some faint background
knowledge and gut feeling. See below.

> > And which ones to stay away from because of their potential
> > security exposure?

I tried to restrict the code base to what I had intended to use, hoping
for the best, as the alternatives in my situation back then were even
worse (i.e. closed-source IP phones directly in the net).

> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Philip
>
> Oh gawd! what an open question.
>
> To answer that I'd need to know what your needs are.

Very true. All I really needed was a replacement for ISDN back then,
which they forcibly shut down. I always wanted to try some private phone
conferencing, but never got at that.

As Bruce already mentioned: YMMV.

I'll send you the asterisk part of my last 19.07.3 config in a PM.
It worked quite well, besides the DNS problem I mentioned (above).
Moving to FreeSwitch was the right thing to do, at least for me.

	Torsten